All Images Are Copyright Protected

Please respect that any posted images are copyright protected. Please feel free to contact me directly for possible permission to use images from my blog.

Thursday 3 April 2014

My Silly Dream

One day, my dream, my goal, is to work part time not too far from home and to make part of my income again come from my art. It is almost unattainable a goal but it doesn't hurt to strive for it. As a 55+ year old I can't see myself still transiting it on the decrepit RT, then subway and treking to a full time job down town every day. One thing I know, as a quite realistic thinker is that art is rarely if ever able to be counted on as a predictable, stable full time income. As a matter of fact, I was told years ago and know it is true,less than 1% of educated artists end up successful financially in their field and making a good income solely from art, especially fine art. Talent as well, often is not the only factor. The practical choice for anyone in the arts is to have another career or job. For many it is teaching, though I suspect many shouldn't be. My opinion (and hind sight is 20/20) is be smart, don't close doors, look after yourself, enable yourself to always be able to be financially independant even if in a relationship, and do not take fluff courses in overpriced art colleges, take something that cn be applied in the commercial world if going into the arts. Taht way, a good financial basis will always allow you to pursue art, even if jsut for your own personal enjoyment :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your comments. it will show once it is approved.