All Images Are Copyright Protected

Please respect that any posted images are copyright protected. Please feel free to contact me directly for possible permission to use images from my blog.

Wednesday 22 October 2014

LePix in Toronto, Fine Art Printers and Framers

I would like to express my thrill at receiving back my print that was required by Oct 23rd at the Robert McLaughlin Gallery in Oshawa for the RMG Exposed juried show and gala auction.

To be safe, I also took in my TIFF image to Black's Photography. The print I received back was so disappointing that I was beginning to panic. It was solid darks in all my shadow areas, no detail, and it was cold and bluish. Is my image too subtle and difficult too print? All I could hope for was that the print my husband would be picking up that same day from Le Pix near where we live would be better.

Wow, wow, wow is all I had to say when I saw it and the relief I felt cannot even be described. I didn't want to part with my print after seeing it lol! Alas, I have to but boy could I feel proud about how I know it will present, framed by the Gallery and beside the rest of the wonderful pieces by some quite successful photographers, none of whom I know, but will be honoured to meet at the event.

Being a painter really, a draftsperson, and only having looked at photographs as "reference" for realistic drawing, rendering and painting, I am not familiar with the photography community in Durham well, a place I lived from 1990 to 2013. To add to that, a finished photographic piece is a different animal than a finished painting or drawing.

A painting, I can control my outcome, I have complete say and control on my finished piece. A photograph? Not so much lol! I am not the printing house, I Have to depend on a printer for my finished product. This is scary, this does not sit well, it is nerve wracking to say the least! So, one can well imagine my relief that someone was able to print my image properly, the way I meant it to appear. Whew!!!

Le Pix did this, I am thrilled. I will use them for any sales I make of any future images.

The paper that was suggested by the owner is: Hahnemühle Photo Rag Bright White

It is a clean bright white, matte, with a smooth cold press watercolour paper like finish, which means not very much surface texture at all. It was recommended for my almost monochromatic and subtle image. Also, it does work well for bright color and sharp detail too, it is a very versatile matte finish paper. I love it!!! 

I have images here of my 18"x12" print, Foggy Shoreline, with quite a bit of a border on it, and a corner detail The photos don't do 100% justice to the real look in life, which is the look and feel of a fine art piece. However, they hopefully do get across the quality of it!

LE PIX website 

RMG Exposed: slideshow of accepted entrants' work




No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your comments. it will show once it is approved.