All Images Are Copyright Protected

Please respect that any posted images are copyright protected. Please feel free to contact me directly for possible permission to use images from my blog.

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Began Latest Acrylic Portrait Again


Unfortunately, what has seemed to happen to me the last few years is that I have had to scrap portraits due to the issue of my surface becoming too built up with paint to continue working on. This has yet again occurred :-( Whether it is light, choice of reference quality, changed eyesight, regression, or who knows, I have no idea. Instead of giving up, I decided to completely change my surface choice from stretched canvas as well as drop using the medium as a vehicle for acrylics and go back to water being the main vehicle.

I bought an Ampersand panel which is pre-prepared, 11"x14" and toned it in a medium warm stain of acrylic which I then wipe off slightly. I then drew the head and shoulders only this time, using charcoal pencil, which took a couple hours. My likeness seemed not quite 100% but I was pretty sure that my shapes and distances were fine so I dove into painting. I know a lot of the subtle shapes, contours and highlight/shadow shapes cannot be drawn in line easily but painting will mould them correctly.

I got fairly far in 2 sessions, about 2-3 hours long. I'm loving this surface so far! It turns out that a tiny bit of the medium has actually been a benefit with this surface, allowing me to drag and dry brush lighter tones over darker tones real well. But I am limiting use of it to only when it is specifically needed.

I have quite a ways to go yet but the tattoo on the neck will be the next thing I begin to tackle on this.




No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your comments. it will show once it is approved.